Garage door repair scams occur too often.
Fortunately, trade associations committed to the integrity of the garage door industry exist. The International Door Association and Door & Access Systems Manufacturers Associations teamed up to bring this consumer alert video:
Beware of Garage Door Repair Scams
First, be aware that garage door scam companies target customers who require emergency repair and who hire the first person they contact. They use impressive advertising with misleading information to draw you in.
Second, disreputable companies prey on the fact that some homeowners know little about their garage door system:
- Capitalizing on the fact that homeowners are not familiar with the actual cost of garage door parts.
- Performing unnecessary repairs using unnecessary parts, and charging inflated prices.
These overcharged prices can exceed the cost of a new basic garage door system.
Steps to avoid being scammed
- Inform yourself about garage door terminology. Learn how your garage door system works.
- Research the typical market cost of garage door parts (torsion spring, cables, rollers, etc) to avoid overpaying.
- Get a second quote if in doubt.
- Call a company. Pay attention to whether the name they answer with matches the name that was on their advertising. Fraudulent companies often operate under several different names.
- Ask the right questions.
- Be wary of unrealistically low service call rates in a company’s advertising. A dishonest company may lure you in with a seemingly low service call rate, then gouge you on pricing for the parts and labour.
The IDA suggests consumers follow these tips:
- Does the business have a brick and mortar office in the community?
- Has the business provided you with names of satisfied customers?
- Have you checked with the Better Business Bureau or Chamber of Commerce?
- How long has the company been in business?
- Does the company carry required insurance; very important.
- Many companies are members of the International Door Association, these firms adhere to a strict Code of Business Practices – check it out
- Many companies are also accredited by the Institute of Door Dealer Education and use IDEA certified door technicians.
- Does the company install products or repair them in compliance with local, state and federal codes?
- If you are requiring only repair or service work, make sure you obtain a firm estimate prior to authorizing the work. If the cost of repair or service seems extremely unreasonable, it probably is.
- Are the company vehicles clean and professionally signed? If required, do they include a contractor license number?
Upright Door Service Inc.’s Accreditation:
First of all, Upright Door Service Inc is an IDEA Accredited Door Dealer. We proudly display the IDEA Accreditation Seal. We earned the ‘IDEA Accredited Door Dealer’ designation for:
- Completing a six-part study course.
- Documenting good business practices.
- Receiving recommendations from others with whom we do business.
- Demonstrating our commitment to industry excellence.
Furthermore, Upright Door Service Inc is a CHI Overhead Door 5- Star Distributor. We earned the title by meeting these terms:
- Full Time Door Business – Dealer must be a garage door specialist on a full-time basis.
- Clean Warehouse & Premises – Premises must be kept neat and organized.
- Good Reputation – Dealer must have a good reputation and business practices within local market.
- Has IDEA Accreditation – C.H.I. recognizes the value of the IDEA Accreditation Seal.
Choose An Accredited Garage Door Dealer
There are many garage door repair companies in operation. Yet beware! Not all garage door dealers are equal. Don’t risk choosing any garage door company. You could fall prey to garage door repair scams.
Therefore, educate yourself. Consider Upright Door Service Inc for the job. Tested and approved in our practices, reputation, and knowledge. We have the accreditation to prove it. Trust us for your garage door and operator needs. Contact us today 905-852-1981.